Thursday, May 15, 2008

written by another person in another place in another time

The tide crashed against me as I tried to swim you.
Every time I made some progress,
Every time I gained some speed,
Your waves came crashing down over me and pushed me back to where I began.
But, still, I swam.

Out of breath, I began to gasp.
Drained of energy, I couldn't stay above the waves.
So my body, limp from exhaustion, bobbed in and out of the sea.
The bitter taste of salt entered mouth and stung my senses.
And while my body wanted to quit, my mind just couldn't understand.
So, still, I swam.

Then the full moon rose above me
and I became alive
Alive with the same burst of energy from that first night
It gave me hope of my success
Of our success

So, with one last gasp, I swam
I swung my arms and kicked my feet
And as the morning sun rose
it shone its light over you
Revealing all of your beauty.
You glistened like diamonds in the light
And I was nowhere to be found
Because in the darkness of night
Trying to stay afloat
I drowned.

No comments: